One of our premises at RS Motor is to offer the best guarantees in terms of reconditioning and repair of equipment that make up the cogeneration groups. We are a company that uses spare parts for Deutz-Mwm, Jenbacher and Guascor the repair of this equipment. In this case we will focus on starter motors.
The starter motor is responsible for turning the crankshaft of the unit through the coupling to the flywheel crown gear, using the electrical energy from the battery and causing the combustion process to start in the engine. Once the first explosion occurs in the combustion chamber, the engine is able to work on its own and the function of the starter motor is finished.
Once again, RS Motor offers the possibility of reconditioning or repairing these engines. The starter motor is made up of eight main parts and initially it is thoroughly disassembled to inspect all these components, which will be replaced those that are unserviceable or need to be changed as a preventive measure susceptible to wear and tear due to hours of work.
The components to be checked by our technicians are listed below:
- Housing: Made of iron, it is usually fixed to the gearbox and the rest of the components are housed inside.
the rest of the components are housed inside. It protects the starter motor and through which it is fixed to the heat engine. This is cleaned and the surface is primed to prepare it for the subsequent process of painting to the colour desired by the customer.
- Fork: This is usually made of plastic and connects the solenoid with the help of a return spring that imprisons it. It moves the impeller to the gear wheel of the flywheel.
- Solenoid: Also called a contactor, it activates the contact terminals by closing the electric circuit of the starter motor. It connects the starter motor pinion to the flywheel via the fork.
- Impeller: Responsible for transmitting the rotational force of the rotor to the crown of the heat engine.
- Brushes: They are made of carbon and graphite paste and emit electrical energy to the rotor. They are responsible for transmitting the electric current between the fixed part and the rotating part of the electric motor or rotor, so that the rotor or armature begins to rotate.
- Rotor: Composed of a drum, a winding and a collector, it transforms the electrical energy in the coil into mechanical energy by electromagnetic induction.
- Inductor coil: Formed by wire arranged in the shape of a helix, it is a component of the electrical circuit that stores energy in a magnetic field thanks to self-induction.
- Pinion: This is responsible for turning the motor by meshing with the flywheel, due to the teeth it incorporates. This element is usually in good condition and does not need to be replaced, it is cleaned correctly and it is checked that there is no play in its coupling shaft.
- Stator: This is the fixed part that makes the rotor or armature interact with the electromagnetic field so that it can rotate. If this component is in poor condition, the equipment is considered unusable.
- Bearings and seals: These components are always replaced either to recondition or repair the starter motor, they are basic elements to be replaced to guarantee a longer useful life of the equipment.
- Relay: Receives electrical current and causes the current to pass into the starter motor to produce the rotation of the starter motor and the displacement of the pinion.
Finally, we share with all of you some of the images of the repair of these starter motors carried out in the RS Motor workshop on which we use spare parts for Jenbacher engines, Deutz Mwm genuine /OEM.